Here’s a quick list of things your doctor thinks you should know. Some things you’ve thought about but never asked, or maybe the subject was just a little too embarrassing to discuss. Either way, listen up!
1) X-rays give off less radiation than standing out in the sun. Over the years, there have been questions and concerns about the possible negative effects of radiation emitted from dental x-rays. The truth is you’re exposed to more radiation from the sun than you are the few times you visit the dentist all year.
2) Yes, sometimes your breath, well… stinks. If you visit the dentist on the day you forgot to brush or swing by right after eating that pasta bowl loaded with garlic at lunch, we smell it. We probably won’t mention the odor, unless it’s associated with an oral ailment that needs to be remedied.
3) Putting your child to bed with a bottle really will ruin their teeth. Let’s be honest – we’ve been told or heard this a million times. Yet, parents still do it! We understand that it’s what your parents or grandparents did, but research and dental experience has shown that it can have negative effects on your baby’s teeth and gums. Don’t do it!
4) Know what your insurance covers before your appointment. Shouldn’t you know if your insurance covers that procedure before you have it done? While we do make calls to verify insurance, we are not the decision makers concerning your coverage. Each insurance company or plan is different and may not cover everything.
5) Don’t believe everything you see on a cosmetic dentistry commercial. Television is something else, huh? It can make you believe dentist can do things in your mouth that are unrealistic. While dentists and orthodontists can do some pretty amazing things, we can’t give you the smile of your favorite celebrity since their facial structure is different. We can give you your best looking smile. Please ask questions in your dental consultation so that you have realistic expectations.